Monday, June 9, 2008

I am here! Sheffield!






It's already been one week here in Sheffield. There are many unusual, weird and nice things in UK. Probably, it's only for a frog that has been in the well for 22 years. ^^ I don't know how to talk bout my life here. Too much. Haha.

The weather!
Its quite normal as many of us expected. Average around 18 celcius. Night or raining day can reach 7 celcius and hot day around 25. The people here like to sit under the hot sun, enjoying their drinks and kids playing around. They like hot day. I guess I'll be same as them soon, coz the cold weather here not really for me especially after shower. FREEZING...... The day hours here last for around 16 hours. The Mr.Sun here is too hardworking. Work earlier and does OT. But winter is the other way round. The worst thing with the weather is...I can't dry my clothes which dryer is the only solution. The BEST is...i went to play football, and I didn't even know that I was already sweating! I didn't even feel tired. wahahaha! syok...but there is no futsal or football field. Just an ordinary large grass field without goal post. : (

The Classes, The Lecturers!
I just attend my 1st week of my classes. I still don't know how it will be in the next few weeks, but during the 1st week assignments already piled up for us which seems very complicating. There are only 3 modules. Classes only on Tue, Wed and Thur. Very relaxing? Hehehe. But most of the time shall at Uni for the assignment. The lecturers here are very friendly and keep smiling. But some of them are very strict on time punctuality. So, we have to discard our lewat-lima-minit attitude which has been the trend for us in TARC. ==!

The People!
The people here are very polite, friendly, humble and helpful. They have a culture of saying Thank You and Sorry. Whenever someone offers services or helps, the other surely will reply with a thank you with a smile. So, whenever I unboard the bus, I'll thanks the driver too, to collaborate with their friendly culture or otherwise they may have a bad perception towards Chinese or Malaysians......or....perhaps...they have already? @@ Besides that, citizens here do their job ethically and responsibly. Cashier at every supermarkets and shops serve us with their happy or pleasant looking faces. Even the car washers wash clients' car energetically. That's some of Sheffield good parts. For the bad parts, I don't think I have bumped any during the 1st few days....ya....the food....+_+"

The Transport!
Cheap! Second hand BMW 525i cost only ₤11K (RM70K). Many cheap cars here, Peugeots, Citroens, Audi, Leon, Mg, etc. I saw quite a lot of Lotus elise too, Celica, AudiTT, Mini Cooper and twice I saw Ferrari 355. There are very very less motorbikes. Cycles are seen here quite oftenly, moslty with very nice bike. The cheapest bicycle in Sheffield also cost £70 =.=! Some of the tar road are designed for cyclers, quite similar like our motorcycle lane in Malaysia. There are also tram which is a mutation of bus and train. Haha. It moves along the street with cables hanging above it like our KTM. There is also train station jsut behind my Uni, which travels to other state but it's very costly. Bus would be preferred by stingy people like me. ^^ Forget to mention about the drivers attitude here. They seldom cross the red light even it can be seen obviously the only vehicle there is his. The best part of Sheffield transportation is a free bus service called FreeBee! Anyone can travel by FreeBee to certain places in the city. Its Free! We always go to Uni by FreeBee as we are quite lazy. ^^ A walk to my Uni is around 25 minutes.

The food!
Actually, I am not sure whether how is the local food taste like, because I tak sampai hati to eat a meal of £3-£5! The first day we reached our accomodation, we went out to have our dinner. Ended up in one of the cheapest and nearest kebab shop. The fired chicken is salty, fries are too dry and there is no cup for us for our 1.5litre Coke. =.=! So, the first impression of Sheffield food is bad. Lolz. It cost us £2.50. After the first meal outside, we cook ourselves until today. We shop in many different shops and supermarkets to get the cheapest food or worth by "value vs satisfaction". So our common foods are cornflakes, sardin, pork, beef, chicken, rice, instant noodle, egg, ham and sausages. Did I miss vege? No. Vege is very expensive here. I can eat £0.45 (RM3.00) of taugeh with 2 spoonfuls. So, our best solution is choose the food with lousy brand like our "Tesco" brand or choose raw food with near expired date which cost cheaper. For me, seldom I will choose tasty food, it's expensive and I am afraid that I'll have my budget upside down. Haiz. The conclusion. Food = expensive. Or maybe only for me? Only 3 things I would like to say about the food here. 1) Expensive 2) Expensive 3) Expensive...and Sux?

It's too much to say here for a tiny little frog in a far away city. ^^ Thank you dad and mum who did so much, pay so much and sacrifice so much bringing me up and let me to UK. ^^



No comments: